When widely circulated statistics show that more than 40% of annual web-based non-profit donations come in during the last 30 days of the year, the question should really be “Why aren’t you in the mail?”
Every day your non-profit is not in the mail is lost opportunity, lost revenue. Getting into the mail fast is imperative.
Here are a few ideas from Paul&Partners to help you move fast and effectively:
- Select your optimal housefile donors. People over 80 will probably not donate on line; people who have donated only small amounts previously will probably not increase their contributions much at this time. Multiple donors are a must.
- Keep your package simple. A lot of four color printing, too many inserts or too much handworked froufrou and folderol may make it harder to produce quickly.
- What is not froufrou and folderol is using personalization to previous donors including a personalized letter with appropriate salutation, suggested donation upgrades and a closed-faced envelope with a live stamp. Your housefile is your financial bread-and-butter. Don’t skimp on them.
- Emphasize the year-end urgency and restate the tax deductibility of their gift.
- Include the usual response card and envelope, but emphasize the web donation option for procrastinators.
10 days to lift-off: If you’re truly committed, you can be in the mail 10 days from today. Here’s how:
Today: commitment decision. Start selecting data pulls and writing copy. Basic package design roughs.
Day 2 determine data selects, hone copy and design concepts.
Day 3 data selection is complete; copy is finished and approved.
Day 4 data submitted for NCOA, merge/purge, etc; design completed.
Day 5 letter and personalization set-ups. Start printing letterhead then envelopes and lift notes or other enclosures.
Day 5-6 finish printing generic pieces. Live carrier, letter and reply set-ups.
Day 7-8 imaging and mailing
Day 9-10 insurance days. Just in case.
Need a helping hand? Ask us. If you’re committed to making a difference to your bottom line this year, we are committed to making it happen for you. Call us today 703-996-0800 or visit online www.PaulandPartners.net.